How long will it take me to complete the degree?

One academic year, from early September to the end of July.

What is the time schedule for lectures?

Lectures are in the morning and labs in the afternoon, from Monday to Friday.

Is the GRE required?

No. The GRE is not required.

I don’t have my Bachelor’s diploma yet. Can I still apply?

Yes you can apply. If admitted to the program, you will need your diploma for registration.

I earned my degree in a non-EU country. Should I legalized it before applying?

For application purposes, no legalization is required. A translation into English or Spanish of your transcripts/diploma is necessary. If admitted into the program and in order to register you will have to legalize your documents if they are issued by an institution from a non-EU member country. No legalization is required for documents issued in a Member State of the European Union or a signatory of the agreement on the European Economic Area. Otherwise, documents issued abroad submitted for registration must be duly legalized. For more information, please visit this web site. It is recommendable to start the legalization process as soon as possible, as it takes quite sometime.

How can I prove my English skills?

If English is your mother tongue or English was the language of instruction of your Bachelor’s degree, there is no need for you to provide an official certificate. Otherwise, you must submit proof of your English knowledge. At least a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

I have been out of academia for a long time. Can my past or current employers act as my recommenders?


When is registration?

Registration runs from mid-July to early September.

When does the course start?

In early September, see the calendar.

Can I access to a Ph. D. program after graduating from the Master in Economics Empirical Applications and Policies?

The best students of the master’s program are considered good candidates for our PhD program in Quantitative Finance and Economics. In the past, we have also helped our students to enter very good doctoral programs all around the world.

Entering a PhD program in any Spanish university requires you to have earned 300 ETCS prior to registration. In practice, this might be a problem for those who hold a 3-year Bachelor’s degree.

I don’t have a degree in Economics. Can I still apply at the EAP Master?

A formal background in Economics is convenient, but not strictly necessary as we also accept applicants whose major is not economics. In the past, we have accepted in our program engineers, mathematicians, physicists, sociologists, … and they all succeeded. Truly good brains are always polyvalent. Be aware, however, that our program does require some formal analytical skills (mathematics, statistics, and econometrics) as we make a strong quantitative emphasis. Have a look at past master’s theses to grasp an idea about the mathematical level of our program.

What is the Spanish Average Equivalent Grade?

At pre-registration you will be asked to upload to the system your “Spanish Average Equivalente Grade”. Follow the steps here.

Should I register in the first-block courses?

Yes, you have to register for the first-block courses even if you already took those subjects elsewhere. You will have to pass an exam.

Should I register in the eight courses offered in the third and fourth blocks?

Yes, because, even though only seven are mandatory, registering in all eight courses gives you more possibilities and buys you an option to drop one of the courses before the term is over.

Is there a minimum number of ETCS credits required to register in the EAP Master?

Yes, you must register for 72 ETCS.

How much does the program cost?

The University of the Basque Country is a public university and highly subsidized by the Basque Government. Tuition fees paid by students are a small share of the actual cost of the program. The University of the Basque Country does not discriminate between EU and non-EU citizens, tuition fees are the same for everyone. Every year in June, the Basque Government announces tuition fees in June, before registration begins. The exact amount will be close to €2,500, including fees for official transcripts and diploma.

Does the University of the Basque Country provide fellowships or any sort of financial aid?

The call for grant applications can be found here. You must be registered to apply.

For Information about other financial aids click here.

Are there options for working part-time?

You should be aware that the EAP Master is a full-time program, what makes working part-time and a good academic performance very difficult to conciliate.

The University of the Basque Country UPV/EHU does not offer teaching or research assistantships to master’s students.

What is the cost of living in Bilbao?

We estimate that monthly living expenses are about €800 for someone who shares an apartment with other people.

What is the campus location?

See the School of Economics and Business in Google maps

What are the housing options?

Accommodation information provided by the University of the Basque Country

Search the local rent market in Idealista.

Does the University of the Basque Country UPV/EHU provide any Spanish/Basque language courses for foreigners?

Yes. Please visit this web site.

How can I find out more about …?

Should you have any question regarding the program contact [email protected].